You have a special invitation to get the first look at my new and improved Entertaining An Idea website! I am publishing this post on that site, (beta version, actually), and am anxious to hear what you think.
Now, on to MOONING AN IDEA:
A few of us might be thinking about a Super Bowl Party on February 4, but I can think of another interesting occasion to have a SUPER party. On January 31, 2018, we will see the first blue moon total eclipse in 150 years! A Blue Moon, a total lunar eclipse and a supermoon all in the same month!
“A Blue Moon is when two full moons happen in the same calendar month; lunar eclipses occur when the moon passes into Earth’s shadow; and supermoons happen when the moon’s perigee — its closest approach to Earth in a single orbit — coincides with a full moon. In this case, the supermoon also happens to be the day of the lunar eclipse.”–space.com
Another great reason to have a party, and such fun menu possibilities!–(Let’s even go gluten free too, on the party menu, that is).
OK, I understand–parties are great, but January 31 happens to fall on a Wednesday– right in the middle of the week. No problem! How about treating work colleagues to a fun breakfast treat to mark the occasion? Maybe blueberry muffins and fresh squeezed blood orange juice…or how about Blueberry-Filled Ebelskivers for the kids before school, with a little lesson on the subject of the day.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pint fesh blueberries
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Maple or Blueberry syrup
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar, and salt.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the egg yolks and buttermilk. Whisk the yolk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined; the batter will be lumpy.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the whites into the batter in two additions.
- Put 1/2 teaspoon butter in each well of a ebelskiver pan. Place over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble . Pour 1 tablespoon batter into each well and cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, 3-5 minutes. Put 5 or 6 blueberries in the center of each pancake and top with 1 tablespoon batter. Using 2 wooden skewers, flip the pancakes over and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter and blueberries.
- Dust the pancakes with confectioners’ sugar and serve warm with syrup. Makes about 40.
Now, for the cocktail party I was talking about!
Super Blue Blood-Moon Cocktail Party
Gluten-Free Party Menu Ideas
Bloody Mary Shrimp Cocktail
Blood Orange Panna Cotta (Garnished With Blueberries)
Bleu Cheese Stuffed, Bacon Wrapped Meatballs (Makes 24)
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 6 oz good bleu cheese, cut into 24 cubes
- 12 strips of bacon, cut in half and partially cooked in the oven at 400 degrees, (7-10 minutes, depending on thickness of the bacon)
- Trader Joe’s Raspberry Chipotle Sauce (optional)
- Mix together first 11 ingredients until just combined. (Over mixing will cause the meatballs to become tough).
- Divide meat into 24 mounds, flatten each mound into a bowl like shape, place a cube of cheese in the middle, and draw edges of meat around the cube to form a ball
- Wrap a slice of bacon around the middle of the meatball and place into a mini-muffin pan
- Set the pan of meatballs into the ‘fridge and chill for a couple of hours. (Can be made a day ahead to this point).
- Cook meatballs in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes
- Remove meatballs from oven and set oven to broil
- Place meatballs on a rack placed over a cookie sheet and brush with Raspberry Chipotle Sauce, (if using).
- Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until bacon is crispy but not burned.
- 16 oz drained bocconcini
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 medium garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Toss all of the ingredients, (except the sun dried tomatoes), in a large bowl until the mozzarella is well coated.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container and let marinate for a minimum of 4 hours
- Roll mozzarella balls in sun dried tomatoes to coat
- Serve at room temperature with cherry tomatoes, black olives, and radishes
Seared Sea Scallops with Strawberry Relish
Strawberry Relish Ingredients:
- 1 cup of diced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon mined arugula (more for salad and to garnish)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan on medium heat and sauté minced shallots for two minutes – being careful not to burn. Remove shallots to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the diced/minced strawberries to the bowl of shallots along with the remaining ingredients: vinegar, salt, pepper and minced arugula.
- Spoon over seared sea scallops
Party Favors: Blue Moon Rice Krispie Treats & Buffalo Wing Popcorn
If you like a little heat, this Buffalo Wing Popcorn is the bomb! It is one of my ‘go-to’ recipes–and it is always a big hit.
A few hints:
- SWIRL don’t stir
- Always use FRANK’S RED HOT ORIGINAL sauce, it does make a difference.
- Don’t take the caramel too far. Once it starts to change color, it goes fast.
- Make two batches, but don’t try to double the recipe, unless you are confident that you can handle it.
Have a SUPER PARTY, and I hope that you enjoy
Entertaining An Idea!